Route 66 – Grants, New Mexico
The West Theatre was originally to be named El Sol Theatre and four walls were built by owner C.E. Means. It was taken over by J.C. West who completed the theatre named it after himself. It opened in April 1959 as a single screen theatre and was later converted to a twin. The balcony was converted to the second screen. Ref – Cinematreasures.org
Multiple sources including former employees confirm that the Lux Theatre was open through 1980. “Up In Smoke”, “Good Guys Wear Black”, “Urban Cowboy” all played there. Ref – David Zoring, May 8, 2022 Cinematreasures.org
The sleek tile facade and terrific neon stand on duty for Pat’s business that is sadly now shuttered.
New Miners Building
Old Miners Building?
The Charlie’s Radiator Service building was built by the then 29 year old Charles Diaz assisted by his maternal grandfather, Joseph Capelli, an Italian immigrant stone mason. Together they used pumice block to construct the garage. Charlie opened his Automotive Service in 1943 with two gas pumps, a garage and body repair. In the early days he sold Mobil gas. By the mid 1950s when Route 66 was widened the gas pumps were long gone and he had quit selling gas and began to specialize in radiator repair. He continued working until 1995 when he died of a heart attack. Ref – Route 66 Times
Roaring 20s SpeakEasyAurant sign remains. The building does not.
Another Route 66 landmark crumbling to pieces.
The office window is broken out. Once the rain comes pounding through – not to mention animals – that spells the end. A terrific roof time neon once adorned the office.
The neon was later upgraded to include a swirling arrow on top to direct road travelers to stop here.