Route 66 – Grants, New Mexico

West Cinema – Still In Business.

The West Theatre was originally to be named El Sol Theatre and four walls were built by owner C.E. Means. It was taken over by J.C. West who completed the theatre named it after himself. It opened in April 1959 as a single screen theatre and was later converted to a twin. The balcony was converted to the second screen. Ref –

The 1937 Lux Theatre

Multiple sources including former employees confirm that the Lux Theatre was open through 1980. “Up In Smoke”, “Good Guys Wear Black”, “Urban Cowboy” all played there. Ref – David Zoring, May 8, 2022

Who Doesn’t Love A Caboose?

The sleek tile facade and terrific neon stand on duty for Pat’s business that is sadly now shuttered.

Not Covid – It’s a giant drill bit for mining purposes.

New Miners Building

Old Miners Building?

The Charlie’s Radiator Service building was built by the then 29 year old Charles Diaz assisted by his maternal grandfather, Joseph Capelli, an Italian immigrant stone mason. Together they used pumice block to construct the garage. Charlie opened his Automotive Service in 1943 with two gas pumps, a garage and body repair. In the early days he sold Mobil gas. By the mid 1950s when Route 66 was widened the gas pumps were long gone and he had quit selling gas and began to specialize in radiator repair. He continued working until 1995 when he died of a heart attack. Ref – Route 66 Times

Roaring 20s SpeakEasyAurant sign remains. The building does not.

Another Route 66 landmark crumbling to pieces.

The office window is broken out. Once the rain comes pounding through – not to mention animals – that spells the end. A terrific roof time neon once adorned the office.

The neon was later upgraded to include a swirling arrow on top to direct road travelers to stop here.

The Road to Flagstaff and Route 66

From San Diego to El Centro to Gila Bend to I 17 up to Flagstaff

The depot at Flagstaff has been an integral part of the city since 1926, the year it was built by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.
This Tudor Revival brick building with its cross-gabled roof was designed by one of the railroad’s engineering staff. It stands at what has historically been one of the busiest railroad corridors for both freight and passenger rail in the United States. The station also serves as the city’s Visitors Center – Great American Train Stations
The View From Flagstaff – The snow topped Humphrey’s Peak of the trio called San Francisco Peaks
Logging Wheel. Once an integral part of the logging industry in this area. From 1870 they were used to help clear timber from land for farming. Cut trees and logs were chained up underneath and rolled away to clear the land. But in the 1880’s they were commonly used in the logging industry. Wheeling cut trees away to railroad flat cars.
Humphreys Peak
Flagstaff AZ Walkabout. Ghost Sign for Mission Ice Cream and frozen bars is on the corner of Aspen Avenue and San Francisco Street on the side of what is now the Mountain Sports store.
Mountain Sports Store/Flagstaff Elks Building, 24 N. San Francisco Street 
The A•B•C ghost sign at 16 Route 66, Flagstaff Brewing Company
Many of Flagstaff’s buildings are made of stone.
11 South Beaver Street
Burly Fish Tattoo and Piercing 11 Beaver Street
The Hopi Building is a retail-owned property of the Hopi tribe located in Heritage Square in Flagstaff, Arizona. It was formerly known as the “Heritage Square” building, but it was christened the “Hopi Building” on 5 October 2010.
The Babbitt Brothers Building, San Francisco Street at Aspen Avenue. The story of the Babbitt Brothers requires a deep dive beyond the space provided here. But it’s a rich story.
The National Register Bank Hotel Building. Dating back to 1888 as a bank and hotel, then later it became the McMillan Opera House. In 1892 it was also a stop for the Flagstaff-Grand Canyon Stagecoach.
Hotel Monte Vista, located at 100 North San Francisco Street, was built in 1927 and is a centerpiece of the historic downtown district. It contains 73 rooms and suites on three floors. Many famous people have spent the night at the Hotel Monte Vista, including Hollywood icons John Wayne, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Anthony Hopkins, Esther Williams, and Barbara Stanwyck. It’s a favorite of ghost hunters – there have been many alleged ghost sightings at the Hotel Monte Vista. One of the sightings involves a “Phantom Bell Boy” that knocks on guests’ doors in the middle of the night and will talk to the guest.
The 1929 Motor Tourist Hotel – Motel Du Beau. The iconic 80 neon tower came in the early 1030’s
The Downtowner was built in 1919. K. J. Nackard made it into an “auto inn” during the 1930’s. Today it’s the Grand Canyon International Hostel.
Altitudes Bar and Grill, 2 South Beaver Street
Leaving Flagstaff, an abandoned Route 66 truss bridge. The San Francisco Peaks in the background.

Route 66 Road Trip…to be continued.